Although OneNote automatically saves your progress in the notebook, a crashed drive can still result in lost data. Fortunately, OneNote 2016 comes with the option to automatically backup your notebooks. So, we’ll look at how to back up your files and restore your notes from a backup.
How to create a backup of your notebook:
- Go to ‘File’ > ‘Options.‘
- Click on ‘Save & Backup’ on the left menu.
- Select ‘Backup Folder’ in the ‘Save’ section.
- Then click the ‘Modify’ button.
Please keep reading our visual, step-by-step guide on how to backup your notebooks in OneNote.
How to get OneNote 2016 for free
You will need a Microsoft account to use OneNote. Signup for a free account here and click on Create account. Then you can download OneNote 2016. Click the Download button and install the application.
How to create a backup of your notebook
To create a backup of your files, first, identify a space in which to save your backups. A secondary drive or a USB stick can be effective solutions, although you must always have a USB stick connected for frequently backed-up notebooks.
- First, go to File and click on Options on the left menu.
- Go to the left menu in the options window and click on Save & Backup.
- Click the on Backup Folder in the Save section at the top.
- Then click the Modify button.
- Navigate to where you want to back up your files and click the Select button.
In the Backup section, you can choose to automatically backup your files. You can also set a specific duration between backups. By default, OneNote will back up your files once every week. But for essential and regularly updated notebooks, you can back them up every few minutes. You can also choose how many backup copies you want to keep.
- Click the OK button at the bottom of the Options window to save your settings.
- Then restart OneNote for the settings to take effect.
- Return to File > Options and then Save & Backup.
- And click the Back Up All Notebooks Now button to check if the new location is working.
How to restore notes from a backup
If you delete your version history