Outlook serves as the desktop mailing service provided within Microsoft’s office suite. While you may primarily use this service for mailing from a single email, the service offers support for mailing from a different email address (provided you have access to said address). This is ideal for those who manage multiple accounts, or managers who may need to send mail via 2 or more addresses; potentially a colleague’s or shared staff address.
Follow the steps below to change the “from” email address when sending an email in the Outlook desktop application:
- Select “Home” -> “new email”
- Compose your email
- Select “Options” -> “…”
- Select “From” under “Show fields”
- Enter alternate address
- Send email
We’re going to walk through this step-by-step accompanied with screenshots, so please feel free to follow along. I’ll also explain why emails with an alternate address may be undeliverable, adding multiple accounts to Outlook and the purpose of changing your “from” address.
- How to change “From” email address when sending an email in Outlook
- Why is email with an alternate email address sometimes undeliverable?
- How to add more than one email address to Outlook (desktop application)
- Purpose of changing “from” address when composing emails
PSST, HEY, YOU
Want in on insightful videos, the latest tech developments, and epic exclusive content? Get all this and more as a member of our mailing list.
How to change “From” email address when sending an email in Outlook
Below, I’m going to walk through how you can change the “from” email address on the fly when you are sending an email in Outlook.
Step 1 – Select “home”, followed by “new email”
- The home button will be located atop the window on the navigation bar.
Step 2 – Compose your email
- To proceed further, it is important you fill all required fields. Failure to do so will make it impossible to send your email.
Step 3 – Select the “From” dropdown and select the email you wish to send from
- The “from” option will be displayed underneath the “Show fields” category of the dropdown- after selecting it an additional composition field will appear. You will use this to select your desired “from” address. This can be done by manual entering the address, or selecting it from the field’s dropdown.
Step 4 – Send your email to it’s recipient
- You may now send your email. To ensure it worked successfully, check for any new emails. In the event an error occurs, you may receive an email informing you your email could not be delivered. Without this however, it is safe to assume your email was delivered successfully.
Sending from an alternate address is a simple process possible on both the desktop and browser variants of Outlook. Doing so only requires access to both your primary email address, which you would normally use, and an alternate address from which you wish to send your email with. Provided you have both, you need only compose your email, locate the options tab (on desktop) and select the “…” button to access the additional options. From here, on desktop you will need to select the “From” option listed under the “Show fields” portion of the menu, or “Show From” if you’re on the browser version of Outlook. After doing so, an additional field will be made accessible via the composition field titled “From.” Using this field will create a dropdown menu from which you may select your desired address.
Why is my email with a different address undeliverable?
While you may now be able to cycle your address to and from various email addresses you may find you can not deliver emails with your alternate address. This is most likely the result of using an address you do not have access to. To resolve this issue, you will need to add your alternate email address to your instance of Outlook. Below we will go over how to do this via the desktop installation of Outlook.
Add more than one address to Outlook (desktop)
Step 1 – Open Outlook and select “File.”
- This will open up a new menu, from which you may access various account settings.
Step 2 – Select “Add Account”
- After clicking the “Add Account” button a new window will appear, requesting you log in to your alternate account. Ensure you have the account’s email and password at hand.
Step 3 – Restart Outlook
- Outlook will not acknowledge your changes until you restart it. To do so, click the “X” located in the top right corner of the window and proceed to re-open Outlook after it closes.
Purpose of changing “from” address when composing emails
Now you’re able to alter your “from” address you may wonder under which circumstances you may need/wish to do so. In the workplace in particular this is a useful feature for employees who use both a personal and work address. As such, the feature makes managing outbound mail between both accounts significantly easier and faster. A good example of this in practice could be the last time you were working from home and inadvertently sent your manager a report from your personal email, causing justified confusion. To avoid this you could have added and switched to your other address- however, this could become tedious if you must do so frequently. Hence, you would instead utilise the “From” functionality to save time and effort.
Our related articles:
- How to strip email attachments and store in folder: Microsoft 365: Emails come with all sorts of images, documents, files and folders. Additionally, they’re quite easy to add- as such you may be prone to accidentally add too many. Fortunately it’s just as easy to bulk-delete them as it is adding them. As opposed to deleting each attachment one by one.
- How to give someone access to manage my outlook calendar: Does your business frequently organise team meetings and staff gatherings? If so, you’re likely familiar with Outlook’s calendar. In this article we’ll explore granting others access to your calendar, revoking their access to your calendar and making your calendar completely private.
- How to change the sender name in Outlook: Names are important to help others understand who they’re communicating with. That applies for emails too. Whether you’re a business looking to update your brand, or you’ve altered your name, and wish to update it online too. In the following article we’ll discuss changing your name in Outlook- without needing to create a new account. Additionally, learn about changing your Outlook reply address in the same article.
- How to set Outlook as the default mail client on Windows: Do you primarily or exclusively use Outlook? If that’s the case or you plan to do so in the future: you may wish to make Outlook your default mail client. This will allow you to be taken directly to Outlook when responding to email notifications or attempting to open email related links. In the following article we’ll discuss setting Outlook as your default mail client on the Windows 10 Operating system.